Awarded FILMS NEFIAC 2014
October 26, 2014
- The Best Feature Film is El evangelio de la carne / The Gospel of the Flesh, by Eduardo Mendoza
Jury Comments: A social drama from Peru with an extraordinary montage of parallel stories about human fragility, overcoming and survival.
- Honorable Mention: Hugo, Paco, Luis y tres chicas de rosa / Huey, Dewey, Louie and Three Girls in Pink, by Edmundo Rodríguez
Jury Comments: A road movie with a twist. It leads to the end of the world. Whimsical, magical.
- The Best Documentary is Los colonos del Caudillo / Franco's Settlers, by Lucía Palacios and Dietmar Post
Jury Comments: A solid de-construction of a vital period of Spanish history, with an extraordinary usage of archive material and interviews that allow all sides to articulate their views. It is as relevant today as it was eight decades ago.
- Honorable Mention: Las muchachas / Girls, by Gabriela González Fuentes
Jury Comments: A visually compelling approach to a group of clandestine Venezuelan women during the 50s. It highlights the dreams and struggles of an often forgotten but fundamental force in contemporary history: women.
- The Best Short Film is Minerita, by Raúl de la Fuente
Jury Comments: An incredible portrayal of the harshness of women as illegal miners in Bolivia, and their use of dynamite as economic advancement, protection and survival.
- Honorable Mention: Esa música, by Darío Vejarano
Jury Comments: A small but gigantic film, a fantastic critique of digital communication platforms.
- Honorable Mention: Techos rotos, by Yanillys Pérez Jury Comments: A masterfully built story of a 12-year-old girl who defies poverty and a dysfunctional family, with wonderful performances and sophisticated cinematographic qualities.